Monday, June 28, 2010

On singing

So, after we lost Olivia, I didn't even want to think about singing.  It's so connected to who I am, to my soul, to my heart, to my center, and all of those were turned upside down when Olivia died.

But, eventually, I had to.  It's my job.  And it was hard, very hard.  I cried a lot.

But now I'm singing the best I have in years.  And you know why?  Honestly, after we lost Olivia, I stopped caring.  I stopped worrying about singing, stopped over-analyzing, stopped being concerned about what other people thought.  Because it wasn't worth it anymore, wasn't worth the stress.  I guess my priorities are permanently altered.

I also have someone else to sing for, too.  And I give that to her every time I open my mouth.

1 comment:

  1. Sara, I only just found this blog of yours, and I have to say that it, and you, are amazing. I so wish we were able to be nearer each other! I just want to tell you that I had this exact same experience after my mom died. Suddenly, performance anxiety was almost a non-issue. My mom was a musician too, and she was the one who said to me, when I was agonizing over music as a career choice, "Honey, sometimes we just have to play. It's what we do, who we are." But a major loss changes everything. I've tried to consider that effect on performance as a gift from her, though absolutely not one I would have chosen.
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete